Friday, January 23, 2009

I Delivered my Baby Girl at Home

Janice was only 2.345 kg, 46 cm in length and 30 cm in head circumference when she was borned on 29 Sep 2003, about 1 month premature ahead of her estimated due date. I can still clearly remembered what happened that fateful morning. Here is my story......

My wife, Jenny woke me up at about 6am that morning, complaining that she felt pain in her abdomen. I got up quickly and told her that we would drive down immediately to see her gynaecologist, Dr Kang Wee, at KK Women's and Children's Hospital. Her estimated date of delivery was on 24 Oct 2003.

About 15 minutes later, just when we were about to leave the house, she indicated to me that her abdomen was very painful and she felt like wanting to empty her bowel. She has no strength to walk or stand. I knelt her down in a crawling position and told her to do her breathing exercise to relax her down a little. Thinking back, I was grateful for the 10 sessions of 1.5 hour of antenatal programme which I attended with my wife from 11 Jul to 26 Sep 2003. This antenatal programme helped us to cope with changes associated with her pregnancy, prepared us for the labour & delivery and provided us with tips to care for our newborn. What I learned in this programme had somewhat helped me to react appropriately to deal with this once-a-life-time, heart throbbing situation that I encountered on the early morning of 29 Sep 2003.

She remained unbearable of the pain and keep wanting to go to the toilet. I suggested to lay her down on the dry toilet floor and told her to relax and concentrate. Jenny was bleeding from her vagina and she told me that she could feel the baby coming out. Hearing that, I almost freaked out. I remembered saying a little prayer to God, not to let anything bad happened to both my wife and our baby girl, as I rushed to make a 995 call for an ambulance to seek immediate help. I ran out to the living room to open our main door and gate before dashing back to the toilet to be with her.

Back in the toilet then, I helped to spread her legs and went through her breathing rhythm slowly to relax her and the baby down. I told her not to push too hard before the ambulance arrived. The next moment, her vagina started to open and I could actually see a small patch of hair from the baby's head sticking out already. I told her if she could, to control her breathing a little and not to push too hard. I made another attempt to call 995 again to hurry them up. Now, I could see 1/3 of the baby's head coming out already and while trying to hold the baby head, two paramedics came in just in time to help me deliver our baby girl safely at 6.50am. With the umbilical cord clamped and cut, the paramedics helped to wheel both my wife and baby downstair to the waiting ambulance and rushed them to National University Hospital, the nearest hospital from home. Along the journey, Jenny delivered her placenta in the ambulance. Jenny has her wounds sewn up with 1st degree tear at 3 places in her womb. Thanked God that both mother and daughter are well and were discharged 2 days later.

Her obstetrician, Dr Kang Wee at KK Women's and Children's Hosiptal gave us a full refund of the Inpatient Premier Maternity Package which we took up with her.

I am glad God has given me this opportunity to play an intimate part in bringing my little baby girl, Janice into this world. Thanks to the 2 paramedics who have helped me with my baby too. Thank you very much, guys.

This toilet is Janice's place of birth.:)

1 comment:

  1. That must be one of the most memorable experiences for you and your wife. It could be related to the child when she is old enough to appreciate that.

    Your child is very special and you and your wife's protective and nurturing instincts would make the bonding for the 3 of you extra strong.

    I know because my girl was born around that weight too, 7 weeks prematurely.

    She was transferred to a special ward in KKH for a month and her mental/physical devt was closely monitored by doctors for the 1st 6 yrs,

    Fortunately she developed rapidly and is now an adult enjoying her studies.

    ReplyDelete